Friday, October 7, 2016

One Competition; Two Winners

So it was that time of the year when I was 'in transit' - from Singapore to Hong Kong via Chennai; transit of about a month trying to juggle a relocation, 3 month old baby and 6 year old ball of energy - did I just say ball? Well! I meant my boy! So that's how it all started. Just to engage my son, and give some fodder to his thinking, I enrolled him in a couple of classes and through them, a couple of competitions. So, this one  was organised by Mylai Tiruvalluvar Tamil Sangam -  a competition with about 10 categories and here he was wanting to participate in all 10 categories. I was trying to put some sense into him saying  - "Agreed that you're bored, no home works, no school, fine! but you can't be serious about wanting to participate in all 10 categories." But of course, I forgot that he was my own burning ball of energy and restlessness, " Ma, Please, I have all the time in the world, you please help me practise and I will participate in all categories." I thought this was going to be tough, very tough and absolutely insane - the date was just about 10 days away.

Little did I know that this competition was going to bring out the best in him and me :) :)


The competition saw him participate in all 10 categories and win prizes in 4. The best part was he was very cool and confident about the whole thing. A place where I saw many parents pulling their children along, giving them last minute practices, making the children rehearse, taking them to the various competition venues and literally pushing them inside, here was my boy - running around going to the various rooms all by himself, playfully. When I tried to stop him and enquire how did his category no .x and y go, he was ready with - "Ma, am done with 4, so 6 more are remaining. Am running towards that classroom now! Bye! This is much more fun than I had thought ma!". He managed all by himself, Well almost! He did need some help with the props (for the drawing competition category) and costume change (for the fancy fancy dress and mono act), snack/water break with biscuits, etc. But no help with any last minute 'reminders' for the competitions :) :)




The competition also saw me don the writer cap. A role for which I had had no time till then, a part which I thought I could no longer play. It was a small write up for his fancy dress category of the competitions. I wanted to choose a character which was not the routine one, which would not cost me much for make up and props, which would go with the theme of Tamil competitions and which I could write about. And I came up with this -



வணக்கம்! நான் எழுத்தாளர் கல்கி கிருஷ்ணமூர்த்தி. ஈன்றவர் இட்ட பெயர் கிருஷ்ணமூர்த்தி, தமிழ் சான்றோர் முன் என் பட்ட பெயர் கல்கி. என் கை வண்ணத்தில் வந்த காவியங்கள் பல.


காவேரி நதிக்கரை ஒரத்திலே,

நான் அமர்ந்து யோசித்த நேரத்திலே,
வந்தன பாத்திரந்கள் என் நெஞ்சத்த்ிலே

வந்தியத்தேவனும், குந்தவை பிராட்டியும்,

பிராட்டியின் தம்பியும், ஆழ்வார்க்கடியான் நம்பியும்,

இவர்கள் காட்டிய வேடிக்கைகள், அதை எழுவது என் வாடிக்கைகள்!


அலை கடலும் ஓய்ந்திருக்க, என் அகக்கடலும் பொங்கியது!

'பொன்னியின் செல்வன்' என்னும் காவியம் என் அகத்தில் வந்து தங்கியது!

மஹேந்திரன் என்ற பேரரசன், 

அவனுக்கு நரசிம்மன் என்ற இளவரசன்.

அவன் தலை நகர் காஞ்சி, 

அங்கே சிவகாமி என்ற வஞ்சி.

காதல் காவியத்த்ில் கண் பட்டது, 

நரசிம்மர் சிவகாமி உள்ளம் புண் பட்டது.

புலிகேசி செய்த வஞ்சனை, 

சிவகாமிக்கோ தண்டனை.

இதுவே கதையின் கருவானது, 

'சிவகாமியின் சபதம்' உருவானது.

முன்னம் அவன் நாமம் கேட்டவள், மூர்த்தி அவன் வண்ணம் கேட்டவள்.

பல்லவன் அந்த புவியரசனை மறந்தாள், வல்லவன் அந்த ஆடாலரசன் தாள் தலை பட்டாள்.

அடுத்த கதை சற்று வினோதம்! நட்பாக மாறியது ஒரு விரோதம்.

கனா கண்டான் ஒரு சோழன், அதை நிறைவேற்றினான், அவன் பல்லவ தோழன்.
அந்தக் காவியம் பார்த்திபன் கனவு, இந்த தமிழ்ச் சபைக்கு என் புது வரவு.

'சோலைமலை இளவரசி', 'கள்வனின் காதலி', அவர்கள் ஆசையில் எழுந்த 'அலை ஓசை', ஒலித்த இடமோ 'தியாக பூமி'.


என் காலம் முடிய நான் விட்ட நூல், 'அமர தாரா'.

அந்த நூலை முடிக்க எவரேனும் இங்கு வந்தாரா?

அந்த காலத்து விடுதலை போராட்டம்

அதிலே சென்றது என் நாட்டம்
கதைகள் கவிதைகள் கட்டுரைகள் என்பதில் என் தமிழ் ஓட்டம்.

தமிழுக்கு நான் ஒரு சிறு தொண்டன்.

அதனாலே மக்கள் மனதில் என்றுமே நான் அமரன்.




He did not win prize for this. But this write up will remain very close to my heart. It brought back some good memories and some very very good experiences - during the preparations for the competitions and during the competitions! But most importantly it rekindled the fire to write about things that I love and my love for writing itself - language no barrier! :) :) :) :) It brought back the writer in me whom I love and don't want to lose.

No comments: